Monday, January 26, 2009

Some details of my ayurveda treatment at Calicut

I am undergoing treatment for scoliosis at Sukrutham Ayurveda , Calicut. First  few details about my condition.

According to my physio, I have idiopathic scoliosis. The curvature in my spine is not as prominent as in the X-rays that are shown on various sites regarding this disorder. 

When I was in Bangalore, about four months back, I got this pain in my legs which I initially ignored, but which became unbearable later on. I did not consult a physician till i was in Cochin, and the condition aggravated.
 I consulted two doctors before my friend referred me to his physiotherapist who then diagnosed my problem as scoliosis. Then followed about 2 weeks of physiotherapy which helped me a lot.

It was my mother's idea to go for an Ayurveda treatment. 

So here i am. 

The first three days consisted of abhayangam followed by podi kizhi.

The word abhayanga means to massage.The massage is customised to each patient depending on their disease or condition. There are different types of abhayangam also. From what I have read and understood mine was Vata har.

This was followed by podi kizhi which is massage with herbal powders.It is mainly done with the powdered roots of 12 herbal plants such as alpinia galanga, ricinus communis, sandalwood and dry ginger. All these are fried together with a little rock salt, crated coconut and lemon juice. The mixture is tied in muslin cloth boluses and is again heated in warm fire. It is then soaked in herbal oil to massage the whole body. After that, the patient is given a bath in moderately warm water. The treatment is an alterative to remove toxins and balance tridosha - vata (nerve energy), pitta (catabolic fire energy) and kapha (anabolic nutritive energy)..

On the fourth day my treatment was changed to Navara kizhi in which a special type of Rice called Navara is cooked in milk and herbal decoction is packed in small cotton bundles. With this the whole body is massaged. This improves circulation, relieves muscular stress and aches.The added advantage here is it is also good for the skin!!! :).

These are the basic details of my treatment, apart from the daily schedule and some medications....


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you know the cause? nyways take care!!!

Shamim Rafeek said...

Hi, sad to know about your health status. But I am sure, you will over come it soon. Take care of your health. Remember mental power is the key to easy recovery. Take care... Shamim

Newyork said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have scoliosis too with a 38 degree curvature. I am currently at an ayurvedic hospital in Changancherry receiving treatment. I was wondering how long you received treatment for and did your curvature reduce in size? Also, i was wondering how much of a curvature you have. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

My 15 year old son has 39 degree curve of scoliosis.Can you kindly tell me if the Ayurvedic hospital at Changancherry helped you in reducing the curvature of spine.Shall be extremely thankful.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
Can you pl tell me if treatment at Changancherry Ayurvedic hospital was useful in reducing Curvature from 38 degrees.My 15 year old son has scoliosis with 39 degree curve. Will be extremely grateful for your response.

Malathy M said...

I had very less curvature and so an ayurvedic treatment plus physiotherapy was enough to help me. but I have to be careful even now with weight gain and exercise regularly.